Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Exquisite Corpse


I couldn't talk about Surrealism without mentioning some of the games they used to play to inspire themselves and illogical idea. But anyways, the one I'm going to talk about because I know it all too well, is the making of The Exquisite Corpse, also know as the Exquisite Cadaver or Rotating Corpse. It came from an old parlor game called consequences where the same technique was used except in writing. Soon it turned into drawing and it went something like this:
* is a method by which a collection of words or images is collectively assembled. Each collaborator adds to a composition in sequence, either by following a rule (e.g. "The adjective noun adverb verb the adjective noun") or by being allowed to see the end of what the previous person contributed.


So I decided to make my roommates participate in the fun and make and one of their own. Okay, so I really didn't explain why they were doing it or what to do, but here's what we came up with.




Sooo, we came out with something looking like a angry drugged out mermaid woman.... But what I found really funny is how stressed they all felt when they were drawing. Both of them warning me of their skill,  though I said it could be totally crazy or awful, didn't matter. I think it turned out fine ahah. Plus, in the end we all shared some laughs and critiques, but I think it's a decent exercise of the imagination as well!


SO they have titled it:
Hip-hoppin' Happenin' Ursala
























Anyways, here's an example of a tad more professional version:




Agnes deBETHUNE, Alaine BECKER, Leah K. TOMAINO, Untitled/Untitled/ Rooted, Graphite, collage, watercolor, chalk, pastel crayon, fiber, acrylic paint on paper, 2009, 30” x 22”
Courtesy of the artists and the Paul Robeson Galleries, Rutgers University.

































Now this is where I shall end my project having explained and experienced some surrealism. I Hope through this blog others are able to see the spirituality involved in the movement as well as the beauty of the art that we call Surrealism!


No comments:

Post a Comment